Wednesday, May 7, 2008

King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table


The book was hard bound in purple and creaked when it opened. One long ribbon trailed from the back, matching the regal hue of the cover. The front was adorned with a small print of a lone castle, surrounded by the title in engraved gold lettering. Once inside, I was lost in the tales of chivalry, perfectly accompanied by the stark black and white pictures of lords and ladies in court and knights in elaborate armor resting under trees or jousting in mighty combat. The images, stark in color and rich in design, made the tale more real, acted as characters on a stage.

My high school graduation, I could not stop twirling, holding the fabric from the black and white dress in my hands. The intricate floral patterns on the edges transported me to those days curled up in the corner of my room, dreaming of defeating dragons or witches, breaking spells and protecting the land. As I received my diploma, my so called "Beardsley" dress gave me that connection with childhood and made me realize how much I'd changed while staying true to my character.

At BYU, sitting through class after class of art history, I learn more about Aubrey Beardsley and the art nouveau he helped established. Seeing slide after slide of memories from childhood, I realize that some things will never leave, but can and will endure.

Facts: The Peacock Skirt by Aubrey Beardsley, a conniving lady (Morgause?), an innocent youth, a plot, mind-blowing awesome detail throughout the work.

No comments: